Azure Backup provides consistent file system backup of Linux Virtual Machines running in Azure. Today, Microsoft extending application consistent backups for enterprise critical applications such as MySQL, InterSystems Caché® DB, and SAP HANA running on popular Linux distros. This framework gives you flexibility to execute custom pre and post scripts as part of the VM backup process.
- Customize backup workflow: Now you have full flexibility to control your applications and production environment during backup by executing custom scripts while taking the VM snapshot. Listed below are few examples on how you can leverage the framework:
- You can use the pre-script to quiescence or redirect the application IOs momentarily using application native APIs and flush in memory content to disk before taking the VM snapshot. You can then use the post-script to thaw the IOs post snapshot completion and resume normal application operation. This will ensure application consistent VM backup for any application you are running. Some applications require fsfreeze to be disabled so that it does not interfere with their quiesce logic, so we also provide a capability to disable Linux fsfreeze which is executed by default while taking Linux VM backup using Azure Backup.
- You can also invoke native application APIs to take application backup and database log backups, and as part of VM backup data will be moved to Recovery Services Vault, thereby securing it against VM compromise scenarios (e.g. VM deletion or corruption).
- Application and distro agnostic: The framework is agnostic of Linux distros and versions, and works seamlessly for all supported Linux distros as long as the guest application has APIs to pause and resume application IOs.
- Sample scripts on github: We are working with partners and ISVs to provide open source scripts on github for popular Linux applications. As of this release, we have these in place for MySQL, CacheDB, and are working closely with SAP HANA.
Under the hood
Azure Backup completes a sequence of steps for taking fast and efficient Azure Linux VM backup as explained in the image below:
To use this framework, you need to copy the pre-script and post-script for your application locally on the VM to be backed up. Then you can follow the steps to configure application-consistent Linux VM backup.
Sample scripts for MySQL & CachéDB
To bootstrap the framework, we worked with InterSystems Caché DB and MySQL DB example with demo scripts, included clustered deployments, that you can use as a reference to create your own scripts and leverage the power of this framework.