Error Windows could not determine if the user and computer accounts are in the same forest. If you have an issue where the User Policy doesn’t get updated and gives you an error about the user and computer accounts being in the same forest, then you’re in luck.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> gpupdate /force
Computer Policy update has completed successfully.
User Policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encountered:
The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not determine if the user and computer accounts are in the same forest. Ensure the user domain name matches the name of a trusted domain that resides in the same forest as the computer account.
How To Fix Group Policy
To fix this error, you just need to start a Windows Service:
- Click on Start;
- Type in Services and run it;
- Scroll down and look for Netlogon (lsas.exe);
- Double-Click on Netlogon and change the Startup Type to Automatic and click the Start button;
- Once the service is running, click the OK button;
- Now try running gpupdate /force again.