Guide Configure Windows Server 2012 R2 DNS Role.
- Launch the DNS management console from the Tools drop down in Server Manager;
2. When DNS was installed, a forward lookup zone for enterinit.com was automatically created. The forward lookup zone maintains the mapping of hostnames to IP addresses;
3. However, a reverse lookup zone is not automatically created. This must be done manually. The reverse lookup zone maintains the mapping of IP addresses to host names (essentially, the reverse);
4. Right-click on Reverse Look Zone and select New Zone;
5. Click Next;
6. Select Primary zone as this will be created on this DNS server;
7. Leave as default (or config for your environment) and click Next;
8. Select IPv4 Reverse Lookup Zone;
9. For this lab environment, a network ID of 192.168.0.X is used;
10. Leave default Allow only secure dynamic updates, click Next;
11. Click Finish;
12. Once the Reverse lookup zone is created, we need to create a PTR record for the domain controller.
13. Right-click on Reverse lookup zone and select New Pointer (PTR);
14. Click the Browse button;
15. Select the domain controller. Browse the forward lookup zone for the newly created domain. Select the domain controller from your forward lookup zone and click OK;
16. Confirm the information and click OK;
17. The reverse PTR record will be created.