Guide Install and Configure Windows Server 2012 R2 Active Directory.
- Create strong password for Administrator account (it will be Domain Admin in future);
- Install all updates;
- Rename your server by Corporate naming policy. (When you install Windows Server, a random name generated.);
- Assign a static IP to your server.
1. After Server Manager starts – click Add roles and features link;
1. From the Server Manager dashboard, click the flag with the exclamation mark symbol. Click Promote the server to a domain controller;
2. On the next screen, select the deployment operation that is needed. In this example, the Add a new forest is selected and the name enterinit.com is entered to create a new root domain. Click Next button;
3. Since this will be the only domain controller in this lab example, both the forest and domain functional levels will remain at Windows Server 2012 R2. Leave check box on Domain Name System (DNS) Server to make this system a DNS server. The option for GC is checked without the ability to modify since the first domain controller must be a Global Catalog server. The third option is unchecked and unmodifiable because the first domain controller cannot be a Read-Only Domain Controller;
4. Enter a DSRM password and click Next;
8. Review options. Please note that a PowerShell shell script is provided if you need to automate this on future installs. Click View Script. If needed, copy this script for future use. Close Notepad window and click Next button;