Microsoft announced Microsoft 365 freelance toolkit.
The Microsoft 365 freelance toolkit offers solutions for the main friction points enterprises encounter when deploying a freelance program, including: internal communications and awareness, team-wide collaboration, data analytics, and workflow automation.
Internal communications and awareness
One of the major challenges of launching an enterprise freelance program is driving awareness and education among internal stakeholders and adopters. Employees need a place where they can get started to learn how the program works, access required training, and review best practices for engaging with freelancers.
Microsoft 365 freelance toolkit solves for this with the SharePoint communication site template—
- Repository for relevant documentation and presentations about the program.
- Use cases to show employees the kinds of projects they can get done with freelancers.
- FAQs seeded with the top questions from enterprise employees.
- An engagement template to help you connect with freelancers in the SharePoint expert talent pool.
The nature of enterprise freelance projects requires team members to collaborate on multiple files, manage varied tasks, and communicate across time zones. To keep cross-functional, multi-geographical teams moving in the same direction, the Microsoft 365freelance toolkit provides guidance around using Microsoft Teams as a powerful hub for teamwork that brings chats, meetings, calls, files, and apps into one shared workspace.
With Teams, enterprises can manage their freelance communication and collaboration needs, specifically through:
- Communication—Public and private teams for members to engage in discussion.
- Task management—One place to track progress and align each team member’s workflow via integration with project management tools like Microsoft Planner.
- File storage—One place to store shared files and retrieve them through intelligent search.
- External guest access—The ability for external users worldwide to collaborate in all aspects of freelance projects through the free version of Teams.
- Security—External guest access to project-specific teams keeps your information safe without giving wholesale access.
A major challenge in scaling an enterprise freelance program is capturing, tracking, and communicating performance KPIs. The Microsoft 365 freelance toolkit leverages Microsoft Power BI, a business analytics service that deliver insights by collecting real-time data from multiple sources, simplifying data prep, and producing customized, easy-to-understand reports and dashboards.
Power BI helps enterprise program managers to:
- Make data-driven decisions.
- Compare freelance program results to conventional staffing solutions.
- Identify the teams within your organization currently leveraging freelance talent by discipline type to help identify future opportunities within your company.
To enhance the core functionality of Power BI for a freelance environment, the freelance toolkit offers:
- A Power BI template with sample visualizations.
- A Power BI connector to pull data from disparate sources into dashboards.
- An engagement template to help you connect with freelancers in the Power BI talent pool.
An enterprise freelance program requires provisioning, compliance, and monitoring, all while providing a frictionless process for your employees. To reduce the need for manual completion of repetitive tasks, Microsoft 365 freelance toolkit uses Microsoft Flow to create automated workflows between apps and services that send notifications, synchronize files, and collect data.
For example, Microsoft Flow can help business decision makers automate the following scenarios:
- Employee training and compliance. By visiting the freelance program SharePoint communication site, employees can sign up for the pilot by completing a compliance training video supported by Microsoft Stream.
- Internal community signup. After an employee completes the compliance training video, the employee is automatically added to an internal Teams channel where employees can collaborate with others who are part of the program and share experiences.
- Upwork account creation. After the employee is added to the Teams channel, their account information, which includes their name and email address, is sent to Upwork for account creation on their platform, so they can start posting jobs on the platform.
In addition to core Microsoft Flow functionality, the freelance toolkit offers:
- Case studies to show how you can use Microsoft Flow within an enterprise freelance program.
- An engagement template to help you connect with freelancers in the Microsoft Flow talent pool.
Microsoft 365 freelance toolkit is available for no additional cost as part of an Office 365 Enterprise or Microsoft 365 Enterprise subscription. Learn more about Microsoft 365 freelance toolkit and a Microsoft 365 Enterprise subscription.
Please note: Each enterprise will need to evaluate and determine its own needs—