Microsoft OneDrive will receive new “beautifully useful” look.
Find your files faster with the new design for files & folders
- The new layout uses your screen space more efficiently, and the uncluttered text styles make it easier to scan across file names and notice essential information quicker. New files jump out at you. Shared files are now easier to spot, and we’ve made thumbnails larger and more detailed
- Cohesive theme and design across apps
- Familiarity builds trust. As you move between devices from one moment to the next, thoughtful design decisions help remove friction and accelerate your day. To that end, we’re refreshing the files experience across Android, iOS, Universal Windows Platform (UWP) and the web interfaces in OneDrive and SharePoint.
- Preview files without opening them
- When you store files in OneDrive, you can count on our rich viewer support for over 270 file types: Visio, Adobe formats like Photoshop, PDF and Illustrator, RAW, 3D and high-precision DICOM medical imagery to name just a few. Our preview-generation engine creates crisp thumbnails and large previews with incredible speed. These previews will make you more productive and find your files faster when you’re using OneDrive.
To support changing trends and the latest apps you use, we’ve also completely re-worked our file icons to be modern and lightweight while keeping them familiar and recognizable. Our support for the latest high-resolution devices extends to these icons as well: we’ve generated over 4200 variations and sizes of icons to ensure your files look crisp on any device.
- New list flexibility and compact mode — We know efficiency matters to you, and sometimes it’s the smallest details that can give you an edge. One of the frequent asks from some of our power users was a “high density list view” resembling Windows File Explorer. Today we’re announcing a new compact list that packs more items into folder views across OneDrive and document libraries with an even more uncluttered layout, so you can handle thousands of items with ease.
- Stay informed on what’s popular — The cloud-powered Office graph gives you insight into how your contributions make an impact across your organization. Popular files show a trending indicator, so you no longer have to dig around to see what’s hot and where you’re influential.
- Quickly locate new files — Quickly find that colleague’s contributions with our “New Item Indicator”, which is a small gleam that looks like eyelashes above files and folders. This makes items created within the last day easy to spot as you scroll through lists, tiles or the new OneDrive Recent view.
- File card reveals essential item metadata and insights — You want to understand the history, impact, influencers & collaborators around every file you share. The file card is a new way to peek into who has viewed your file and when. This unique capability, when coupled with our instant previewers and deep version history, lets you know more about what’s happening with your files when you store them in OneDrive or SharePoint.
- Powerful Recent Files view updates across OneDrive and Office — The updated Recent view in OneDrive, Office.com and the Office apps is more accurate and capable than ever, ensuring your content is consistent, familiar, and easy to find across all these places. All the utility and visual improvements listed above regarding icons, layout and signals are part of this experience. With OneDrive and Office, it’s now even easier than ever to pick up where you left off.
- Accessibility top of mind — We are committed to building for each and every one of our customers. The new list and tiles experience across OneDrive and SharePoint were built from the ground up with ease of use and accessibility in mind.