Preview of Backup Pre-Checks for Azure Virtual Machines. Allows Azure customers to monitor the impact of configuration changes and take steps to ensure the continuity of successful backup operations. Backup Pre-Checks aggregates issues that affect backup and displays it in the Recovery Services Vault dashboard. Run as part of the scheduled backup operations for Azure VMs with one of the following states:
- Passed: This state indicates that your VMs configuration is conducive for successful backups and no corrective action needs to be taken.
- Warning: This state indicates one or more issues in VM’s configuration that might lead to backup failures and provides recommended steps to ensure successful backups. Not having the latest VM Agent installed, for example, can cause backups to fail intermittently and falls in this class of issues.
- Critical: This state indicates one or more critical issues in the VM’s configuration that will lead to backup failures and provides required steps to ensure successful backups. A network issue caused due to an update to the NSG rules of a VM, for example, will fail backups as it prevents the VM from communicating with the Azure Backup service and falls in this class of issues.
- Identify and Monitor VM configuration issues at scale: With the aggregated view of the Backup Pre-Check status across all VMs on the Recovery Services Vault, you can keep track of how many VMs need corrective configuration changes to ensure successful backups
- Resolve configuration issues more efficiently: Use the Backup pre-check states to rank which VMs need configuration changes. Address the “Critical” Backup Pre-Check status for your VMs first, using the specific required steps and ensure their successful backups before addressing the “Warning” Backup Pre-check states for your VMs.
- Automated execution: You don’t need to maintain or apply separate schedules for Backup Pre-Checks as they are integrated with existing backup schedules and therefore are assured to execute automatically and get the latest VM configuration information at the same cadence as their backups.
Learn more about this feature here.