SCCM Install and Configure Power BI Dashboard. The SCCM Power BI Dashboard provides detailed information of SCCM hierarchy including client and server health, malware protection, software updates, and software inventory.
SCCM Power BI Dashboard Prerequisites
- System Center 2012 Configuration Manager R2 SP1 (5.00.8239.1000) or later. Read access to System Center Configuration Manager database is required.
- Destination database: Azure SQL database or SQL Server database (SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 or later).
- Valid Work email address (Power BI Desktop sign-in).
- PowerBI Desktop app.
- PowerBI Pro license (if you want to share your reports)
- For the machine where the installation is run:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or later.
- PowerShell version 5.0 or later.
- For Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, or later. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or later.
Power BI Desktop Installation
We will start by installing Power BI Desktop:
- Download Power BI Desktop from the Microsoft download center;
- Execute PBIDesktop_x64.msi, click Next;
- Accept the license terms and click Next;
- Select the Installation Directory and click Next;
- Click Install;
- When the process finish, click Finish to close the installation wizard;
Power BI Integration
- Wait for the process to complete
- The installation wizard will launch in new window Get Started with System Center Configuration Manager. You can Close SCCMTemplate installation. Click Next;
- On the Login pane, Enter your credentials to connect to the SCCM database. These credentials will also be used to run a Powershell script on a recurring schedule. Click on Validate, then Next;
- In the Source pane, enter your SCCM server name, click on Validate, select your Database from the drop-down then Next;
- On the Target pane, select your SQL Server, click on Validate, select your Database from the drop-down then Next;
- If you are using Azure SQL (which is unlikely for an SCCM installation), check the Using Azure SQL box;
- The 5,6,7 and 8 steps will be automatically skipped (Because we don’t use Azure SQL);
- On the Customize pane, select the time you wish to have your scheduled task to be run and the desired Compliance Target number, click on Validate and Next;
- Review your choices, enter your email address if desired to receive information about Power BI and click Run;
- The installation starts. The initial synchronization pulls data out of Configuration Manager database and pushes the data into the specified early SQL Database;
- Once the process is completed, you can download the pre-configured Power BI SCCM Dashboard by clicking on Download Report;
- Once downloaded, open the SolutionTemplate.pbix file, it will open in Power BI Desktop. On the top ribbon, click on Edit Query and select Edit Wueries;
- Click on any query on the left pane and select Edit Credentials;
- Select your preferred credential method and click Connect;
- If you have an Encryption Support warning, click OK to accept the unencrypted connection
NOTE: If your credential has the Read right on the SCCM database, all the “!” icons will turn to tables icons. This means that the data can be read.
- Click the Apply Changes button on the warning on the top;
- Click the Overview pane to validates that the data is shown;