Windows 10 Stop Auto Reopen of Programs after Restart.
In old Windows versnions:
- When you shut down your PC, all apps are closed
- After reboot/restart, you have to re-open any app you’d like to use
- When shutting down your PC, any open apps are “bookmarked”
- After reboot/restart, these apps will re-open automatically
If you want to start with no apps open, you’ll need to ensure all apps are closed before shutting down or restarting the PC.
How to Stop Windows 10 From Reopening Applications
To change this setting, head to Settings\Accounts\Sign-in Options.
Scroll down to the Privacy section and set the Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart option to Off.
Use the Classic Shut Down Dialog
- Minimize all programs by pressing WinKey + M.
- Click on the Desktop to set the focus on it.
- Press Alt + F4 to display the classic “Shut Down Windows” dialog
- Select Shut down or Restart option from the drop-down menu.
How to Stop Windows From Reopening Folders
If Windows automatically opens folders like Documents or Downloads folder in File Explorer when you sign in, that’s controlled by a different setting.
To find it, launch File Explorer, click the View tab on the Ribbon and click the Options button.
On the View tab, scroll down and locate the Restore previous folder windows at logon option. Ensure it’s unchecked or Windows will reopen any folder windows when you sign into your PC.